There are 23 owner complaints spread out over 5 years, but the most belong to the 2003.
This generation ranks 12th in reliability out of 33 overall Subaru generations.
This generation has been recalled 37 times. It's also part of 452 investigations and has 204 TSBs.
- cooling system head gasket leak in the 2003 Legacy at 93226 miles
- engine running roughly in the 2002 Legacy at 88000 miles
- brakes brake failure in the 2001 Legacy at 1800 miles
- electrical bad knock sensor in the 2001 Legacy at 42000 miles
- body / paint subframe rust in the 2002 Legacy at 66083 miles
- electrical bad oxygen sensor in the 2001 Legacy at 45000 miles