There are 54 owner complaints spread out over 4 years, but the most belong to the 2003.
This generation ranks 26th in reliability out of 33 overall Subaru generations.
This generation has been recalled 23 times. It's also part of 226 investigations and has 92 TSBs.
- engine blown head gasket in the 2003 Outback at 56000 miles
- engine engine blew up in the 2002 Outback at 18641 miles
- transmission transmission failure in the 2000 Outback at 104000 miles
- engine head gasket failure in the 2002 Outback at 110000 miles
- transmission shifts hard in the 2000 Outback at 102000 miles
- cooling system blown gasket in the 2003 Outback at 66000 miles