There are 147 owner complaints spread out over 6 years, but the most belong to the 2006.
This generation ranks 29th in reliability out of 33 overall Subaru generations.
This generation has been recalled 28 times. It's also part of 452 investigations and has 210 TSBs.
- clutch clutch failure at low mileage in the 2005 Outback at 66809 miles
- engine burned through oil and blew up engine in the 2009 Outback at 96775 miles
- engine leaking head gasket in the 2007 Outback at 85624 miles
- engine head gasket leaking in the 2005 Outback at 72982 miles
- engine valve stem due to differential expansion fell into cylinder in the 2004 Outback at 65000 miles
- engine check engine light on/cruise control blinking/no acceleration in the 2006 Outback at 111777 miles